Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Training for the Speed Strength Combine

While I don't claim there to be one best way to prepare for the events in the Speed Strength combine, there is one main element that is critical.  Consistent intensity.  To achieve a score of greater than say 150 pts in this particular fitness test, you must be inherently genetically superior or you have to work hard over a long period of time.

I believe that consistancy and intensity can go along way.  Since there are 6 events that must be competed in this fitness contest, you must do something at least 4 days a week if not more.  I train chest, shoulders and tris once a week.  I then work my legs twice a week, but using a split that allows sufficient recovery.  If I perform Squats on Wednsday; I wait at least til Saturday prior to goint to dead lift. This gives my lower back (the slowest to recover), and my hamstrings and legs enough time to recover before hitting them again.  After a heavy deadlifting session my lower back is usually quite sore the next day.  Therefore, I won't hit squats again until the 4th day.  So, if I squat wed, dead lift on Saturday, I won't squat again until wednsday.

For the strength portion in bench my work out is as follows:
Exercise 1: Flat bbell bench press: Warm up (WU) x 6 to 7 sets (i.e. 135 x15, 185x7, 205x4, 225x3, 245x2, 265x1 +/1 275x1)   first working set:  290 x 5 (goal) x 2 sets, then 275 x 6 (goal) x 2 sets, then 250 x 7 (goal).  I record what my weight and reps and if I reach my goal, the next session I increase the weight by 5 pounds.  For example, if I achieve 290lbs x 5 reps on both sets, next week I move to 295 lbs and attempt to achieve 5 reps x 2 sets.  I do this at each weight.

Exercise 2:  Sitting Military Press: 190 x 6 x 2 (goal), then 170 x 8 x 2 (goal).  If I do not achieve this goal, I keep the weight the same next week until I achieve the goal set.

Exercise 3: Incline Bench drop set: 205 x 6 x 1 set drop to 135 to failure x 1 set.  Likewise, I increase the heavy weight by 5 lbs each week if I get my goal of six reps.  The drop set lower weight, always stays the same.

Excercise 4:  Close grip bench press superset with push ups:  190 lbs x 8 to push ups to failure.  The close grip bench weight is increased each week by 5 lbs when the rep goal of 8 is reached.

Exercise 5:  Super set with DBells 70 lbs:  Over head press to incline press, to flat bench press.  I attempt to achieve one rep more at each position.  This works endurance.

Exercise 6: Tris-laying tris and push downs for 3 to 4 sets.

Exercise 7: Dips x 2 sets to failure.

As you can see, I only do 7 exercises for chest, shoulders and tris.  If I hit a plateau for several weeks in one particular area, I may add an additional exercise for that area.  If you are training only for getting a massive chest, or only to have a huge 1 RM in bench; this may not be ideal.  My goal is to get super strong, but I need to be balanced with speed.  Therefore, I limit the number of reps and exercises to save time for cardio conditioning.  However, one key point to this regimen; it is done at max intensity.  If I hit my goal in the rep on the first of two sets at that rep goal, I stop.  But, I push through that goal to failure on the next set if I can. As I move along in the program, the weight starts to get incredibly heavy and the goal for reps is rarely pushed through.

Mentally, having a goal to reach each week helps focus you on diet when out of the gym.

Next, I'll discus my running regimen.  Speed is a big part of this contest. So you've got to get to the track.

No comments:

Post a Comment