Thursday, May 9, 2013

Why test speed and strength! the ultimate athlete

Just two days ago I was in the Gym doing my chest, shoulder and tri workout.  I was doing bar bell flat bench press and had 290 lbs on the bar.  I needed a good spot as this is a heavy weight for me.  I noticed a guy sitting on the incline bench with 315 lbs sitting there.  He looked like he needed a spot so I offered and he accepted.  He cranked out 4 reps.  I was astonished.  He looked strong, but I didn't think he'd get 4 reps.
I asked him to give me a spot and I got 4 reps on flat bench.  Clearly, he was immensely stronger than I was in the bench.  But, I had that nagging question, what does that mean?  Would I compensate for lack of bench strength with leg strength or perhaps in speed and agility on the track enough to claim title over him.  Another way of wording my question is; Does his strength in bench out do my edge in speed?  Or perhaps he is fast too.  These are the questions that led me to develop a competition that allowed the strong man to compete with the swift man and find out overall who comes out on top.  He showed me videos of him benching 405 for 7 reps (and various other weights and reps).  So for fun, I made a guess at his numbers and plugged them in to the score sheet.  Please see here to see how I stacked up with him.  Of course, I don't know what he runs the 40 yard dash in nor the 400m.  However, looking at him and knowing what I know about typical times, I feel my educated guess is in the ballpark.

So please go here and see the numbers.  Also, put your numbers in, then train hard and repeat and see how you improve.  See how you stack up against people across the world in this unique competition: The Speed Strength combine.

In reality, the key is to stay healthy.  Just yesterday doing a 100 m sprint at 90% speed I strained my hamstring.  This is somewhat devastating because this puts me behind in my training as I will need at least a week to recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment